“Diversity is the mix. Inclusion is making the mix work.” -Andrés Tapia
This February we’ve are joined the celebration of the 10th annual Jewish Disability Awareness and Inclusion Month. This awareness month is an international initiative to inform communities and further advance strides made in inclusion for those with Disabilities.
On February 6, 2018, the Jewish Federations of North America hosted the annual Jewish Disability Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill. Experts and advocates and policymakers traveled to Washington, DC to have a dialog about legislative priorities for Jewish persons with disabilities. Participants will had the opportunity to meet with members of Congress and their staffs to discuss protecting rights of all people with disabilities.
In response to community feedback, through the Disability Services program, we are assisting families needing resources with a goal of supporting quality of life and autonomy of people with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Education, employment, social connectedness, future planning, accessibility and many more barriers are present within our community.
How are we helping to make Greater Kansas City more inclusive?
- Assisting in developing goals and linking families to professional resources.
- Providing support in the navigation of various benefits and entitlements.
- Helping families think about and plan for their long-term care and future support needs.
- Providing support in finding appropriate information and resources to supports and services within the community.
- Increasing awareness of and facilitating social activities.
- Increasing access to a variety of regular social inclusion activities, interaction with peers, Jewish holiday activities, and outreach to Jewish congregations and other organizations to promote social inclusion activities.
As we work on repairing the world, one person, one family at a time, please join JFS and use Jewish Disability and Advocacy month as a time to examine your community, recognize what is working and what is not working and to make effective changes.
Please visit and follow our new JFS Disability Services Group for more relevant news and information at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/JFS.Disability.Services/
Disability Services at JFS is a resource within the community to help link families to information and resources as well as provide case management services. We would love to hear from you. Contact Porsche Elkins at 913-730-1474 or firstname.lastname@example.org.