Each year JFS offers assistance three times a year to help Jewish families and older adults participate in Jewish holidays, Rosh Hashanah, Hanukkah, and Passover. The holiday programs would not be possible without the dedication of our volunteers and supporters. There are many opportunities to make a very real difference to Jewish families in need in our community, including assembling grocery bags, wrapping gifts, and making deliveries. Our volunteers tell us how rewarding and gratifying it is to know that their volunteer work is making a concrete difference.
Passover is just around the corner and Jewish Family Services Food Pantry, The Rabbinical Association of Greater Kansas City, and area congregations are teaming up to feed over 200 households in need this Passover holiday. By doing so, this helps put into action the traditional words of the Haggaddah, “Let all who are hungry come and eat”. Passover begins at sundown, Monday, April 14.
From now until Monday, March 31, participating congregations and JFS will be collecting kosher for Passover items, reusable shopping bags and monetary donations.
If you would like to help:
- Donate kosher for Passover food items such as matzo, gefilte fish, fruit jellies, dessert mixes, macaroon and grape juice.
- Donate reusable shopping bags. Reusable shopping bags are an environmentally friendly way for the Passover food to be packaged.
- Monetary donations are needed to assist with covering the cost of poultry, meat and dairy products for the holiday.
- Bag produce and non-perishable items for delivery. This will done the week of April 7th.
- This year, the majority of Passover recipients will come to the JFS Food Pantry and shop for their items; volunteers are needed to assist with check-in, shopping, bagging, and carry out – both teen and adult volunteers are welcome! Passover shopping days are Sunday, April 13 and Monday, April 14 from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. – volunteer shifts are two hours each.
- Deliver Passover packages to the families! We are looking for volunteer drivers to deliver to 2 – 4 residences on Sunday, Sunday, April 13 and Monday, April 14 from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. – this is a great opportunities for families!
If you or someone you know wants to volunteer, please call (913) 730-1410 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you know a family in need? JFS wants to know if you, your family, or friends are in need of help this holiday. If so, please call 913-327-8250. All information will remain confidential.