JFS offers assistance three times a year to help Jewish families and older adults participate in the Jewish holidays of Rosh Hashanah, Hanukkah, and Passover. The holiday programs would not be possible without the dedication of our volunteers and supporters. There are many opportunities to make a very real difference to Jewish families in need in our community, including assembling grocery bags, wrapping gifts, and making deliveries. Our volunteers tell us how rewarding and gratifying it is to know that their volunteer work is making a concrete difference.
Rosh Hashanah is just around the corner and the JFS Food Pantry, The Rabbinical Association of Greater Kansas City, and area congregations are teaming up to feed over 200 households in need during the High Holidays. Rosh Hashanah begins at sundown, September 24.
From now until September 7, participating congregations and JFS will collect kosher and non-kosher holiday food items, reusable shopping bags and monetary donations.
Items needed for Rosh Hashanah include: vegetable oil, matzah ball soup/mixes, extra-wide egg noodles, raisins/dried fruit, sugar/flour, grape juice, and honey.
Ways you can help:
- Donate the food items listed above by September 7 at your congregation or in donation barrels at the JCC.
- Donate reusable shopping bags. Reusable shopping bags are an environmentally friendly way to deliver pantry packages.
- Monetary donations are needed to assist with covering the cost of poultry, meat and dairy products for the holiday.
- Bag produce and non-perishable items for delivery on Friday, September 19 from 10am-12pm and 1-3pm at the Pantry.
- Shop with recipients in the Pantry. Volunteers are needed to assist with check-in, shopping, bagging, and carry out on Tuesday, September 23 from 10am-1pm, 1-4pm & 4-7pm; and Wednesday, September 24 from 10am-1pm & 1-4pm. Both teen and adult volunteers are welcome!
- Deliver holiday food packages to the families! We are looking for volunteer drivers to deliver to 2 – 4 residences each on Sunday, September 21 from 10am-1pm. This is a great opportunity for families!
If you or someone you know wants to volunteer, please call (913) 730-1410 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Do you know a family in need? JFS wants to know if you, your family, or friends are in need of help this holiday. If so, please call 913-327-8250. All information will remain confidential.