Cars equal independence, and hanging up those car keys can feel like the end of an era. Jewish Family Services’ award-winning JET Express program keeps older adults, 65+ active and independent. JET Express is a volunteer driver program whose goal is to help older adults remain active and independent, by accessing safe and reliable transportation with community volunteers.
JET Express Membership:
- Provides members with safe, door-to-door transportation.
- Uses volunteer drivers to provide one-way and round-trip rides.
- Keeps our community moving forward.
To become a JET Express Member, riders must be:
- 65 years of age and older.
- Without readily available transportation.
- Non-wheelchair bound (if they can get into the car and have their
wheelchair put into the trunk, that’s acceptable).
JET Express Policies and Procedures:
- JET Express rides are $5 each way
- Rides must be scheduled 5 business days in advance
- We have a 30 mile round trip limit per ride
- We try to provide up to two round trip rides per week
- Rides are available Sunday-Thursday, 8:00am-9:00pm; and Friday-Saturday, 8:00am-10:00 pm
- Rides can be used for medical appointments, going to the hairdresser, going to the grocery store – anything that helps older adults with the activities of daily living.
JET Express Plus:
- Provides rides in a comfortable minivan
- Provides rides by a friendly JFS staff member
- Allows you to schedule same-day medical appointments
- Rides can be scheduled Monday – Friday from 8:00am-9:00pm, and Saturdays and Sundays dependent on driver availability
- JET XP rides are $15 each way
To join JET Express or JET Express Plus, call Sondra Atherly, Older Adult Initiatives Operations Manager at 913-981-8877, or click here to email Sondra.
To find out more about volunteer JET Express driving opportunities click here
To download JET Express member forms:
- Cover letter
- Member Rider application
- Release and Waiver
- Consent for Services
- Authorization to release – non med
- Authorization to release – information
- Photo & Video Release
Download the JFS Senior Transportation Resource Guide here.
Did you know that you can donate your car to JFS and get a tax deduction?
Charitable Auto Resources, Inc. (CARS) will pick up your car, give you a receipt for your income taxes, and JFS would benefit from your generosity through the sale of your vehicle. Imagine, no more worrying about car insurance, maintaining your vehicle, and wondering if your car will start after having not been driven in a long time!
For more information about how you can help JFS continue to support our community, contact CARS or call Kristin Schultz at 913-327-8299.