prescription medication, diabetic supplies, vision care, dental emergencies, and medical equipment, including hearing aids.
JFS, like other social service agencies, lack funding for short-term health care emergencies. The Medicine Cabinet focuses on this area, working with established emergency assistance agencies that already provide food, rent, utility assistance, and other services.
Many Kansas City families and individuals must choose between buying groceries, paying rent, or taking care of a medical need. For people on limited incomes, an unexpected medical expense can become an emergency. These needs can impact an existing medical condition, reduce job opportunities, and diminish life quality.
Kansas City’s Medicine Cabinet is a program of Baptist-Trinity Lutheran Legacy Foundation. They have provided short-term emergency medical assistance throughout the Kansas City metro, on both sides of the state line since 2005.
To be eligible for assistance, you will need to be able to provide the following:
• Proof of household income at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines
• Proof of income for everyone in the household
• Picture ID for all adults in the household
• Social Security Card or ITIN Card for everyone in the household
• Proof of address within the past 30 days
• Medical order such as a prescription or a statement from a medical provider validating a medical need