Jewish Family Services & Kansas City Library offer weekly Happiness Habits
No matter the result of the election or the status of the pandemic, there will be unhappy and possibly distraught people. Jewish Family Services Mental Health team can provide needed support through its broad-reaching, holistic approach to mental health with the goal of enhancing the well-being of individuals, families, and communities.
JFS provides services to all regardless of faith, age, culture, or lifestyle.
One current effort is Happiness Habits Wellness Series, a free and ongoing program in partnership between JFS, the Kansas City Public Library, and The Greater Kansas City Mental Health Coalition. (Note: The coalition has more than 35 members from across the metro.)
Happiness Habits is a half-hour program taking place at 3 p.m. Mondays via Zoom.
The focus is on how to manage the uncertainty of our daily lives with simple habits fostering happiness regardless of our circumstances. Each half-hour interactive program has a theme; the Nov. 2 pre-election session will focus on compassion, and the Nov. 9 theme will be Happiness and Kindness.
Happiness Habits Topics
- Sept. 14: Happiness Habits
- Sept. 21: Connecting with Others
- Sept. 28: Happiness through nature
- Oct. 5: Happiness & Mindfulness
- Oct. 12: Gratitude Practices for Happiness
- Oct. 19: Mindful Eating
- Oct. 26: Impact of sleep on Happiness
- Nov. 2: Compassion for Others
- Nov. 9: World Kindness Day
- Nov. 13: World Kindness Day
- Nov. 16: Contagion of Happiness
- Nov. 23: Control & Family Dynamics
- Nov. 30: Progress not Perfection
- Dec. 7: Happiness & Nature
- Dec. 14: Intentionality & Happiness
- Dec. 21: The Happiness in Music
- Dec. 28: YOUR Happiness
The program is open to anyone, but registration is required through the library’s web site.
In addition, JFS has a team of trained therapists and clinicians who can work with all ages and helping guide people through mental health conditions, behavioral health problems, relationship challenges, and aging issues. With the current COVID-19 situation, counselors are able to meet with clients via phone or Zoom. JFS offers a sliding scale with confidential financial assistance available. Whether it is a one-time visit or a need for ongoing support, JFS can help.