Volunteer With JFS
Living the Jewish value of tikkun olam –
repairing the world, one person, one family at a time.
- The health and safety of our staff, volunteers, and clients are our top priority. As an agency working with vulnerable populations, we have modified our volunteer opportunities to meet public health recommendations and social distancing practices. There are still many ways for you to stay involved with JFS and give back to our community during these challenging times – we look forward to seeing you!
- We continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation and have screening procedures, including testing, mask-wearing, and social distancing protocols for in-person activities.
- Some volunteer opportunities have slight changes or limitations due to COVID-19 while we still continue to provide important services in our community.
We can’t do it without you!
When you volunteer at JFS, you are helping strengthen and improve the lives of thousands of people throughout Kansas City. Volunteers play a vital role in our programs, providing a helping hand, compassionate smile, or meaningful connection. There are many ways to use your time and talents as a volunteer with JFS!
- Real lives. Real difference. JFS volunteering makes a difference for others right here in greater Kansas City. You might be the reason an older adult without a car can still get to the doctor, send an e-mail to grandkids, or attend religious services.
- Flexible Volunteer Hours. Most opportunities work around your schedule – you pick how often and when you’re available.
- Family Volunteering. We have projects that give all ages a chance to experience the joy of giving to others. Many of our projects are suitable for families and reiterate Jewish values and traditions.
- Group Volunteering. You can volunteer with friends and family, youth groups, or for workplace/team-building experiences.
Unfortunately, at this time we are not able to accept court-ordered volunteer service.
Read about various volunteer opportunities below. See something that sounds interesting, or have a talent to share that’s not listed? Our Volunteer Engagement Team is here to help you get started at 913-730-1410 or email@example.com.
Food Pantry Volunteers
The Food Pantry is our response to the growing need for food assistance in Kansas City. Volunteers sort food donations, pick up donations from food drives and local grocery stores, organize and staff the pantry during appointments, make food deliveries to homebound clients, and assist clients who come to our pantry to shop.
Learn more about volunteering at our Kansas and Missouri pantries.
JET Express Volunteer Driver Program
When you volunteer as a JET Express driver, you are giving an older adult their independence and freedom. Use your own vehicle to give rides to older adults, helping them stay active, independent, and connected to their community. Choose the rides you want online through Ride Scheduler, give based on your schedule.
Help@Home: An Aging in Place Program
Are you handy around the house or computer savvy? Become a Help@Home volunteer! For more information, contact Volunteer Engagement at (913) 730-1410 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our holiday projects help Jewish individuals and families feel more connected to our community at Passover, Rosh Hashanah, and Hanukkah. You can help by donating holiday food, adopting a family for Hanukkah, or making home deliveries. These projects are great for individuals and groups, allowing you to spend quality time with family and friends.
Check out our Events Calendar for upcoming opportunities.
Spiritual Care Volunteers
This group of dedicated volunteers is integral to the JFS Chaplaincy Program and fulfilling the mitzvah of “bikkur holim” – visiting the sick. Volunteers receive extensive training to work in the healthcare community serving the spiritual needs of Jewish patients in area hospitals and eldercare centers. Volunteers provide connection and support to those who might otherwise be alone or disconnected from community. A warm and nurturing team enhances your own personal and spiritual growth.
Learn more about this program to see if it’s the right fit for you by contacting Volunteer Engagement at (913) 730-1410 or email@example.com.
Attorney Referral Program
As a legal professional, you may already know there’s a growing need for legal services right here in our own community from low-income or disadvantaged clients. JFS invites you to assist with one pro bono case per year. Learn more about this program to see if it’s the right fit for you by contacting Volunteer Engagement at (913) 730-1410 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
B’nai Mitzvah / Community Service Projects
Becoming a Bar or Bat Mitzvah is a special time. It includes accepting new responsibilities as an adult, which include embracing the Jewish value of Tikkun Olam, and making a difference in the world around you. We can help you define a meaningful Mitzvah Project or link you to rewarding volunteer opportunities for community service projects.
Contact Volunteer Engagement at (913) 730-1410 or email@example.com to start the discussion.